(Click picture for a larger view)
The official flag of the Korean War Veterans Association is shown on our cover of this issue at Arlington
Cemetery on July 27, 1988, in front of the Amphitheater and Tomb of the Unknowns on the occasion of the
dedication of the KWVA bench during the association’s annual reunion.
The KWVA bench, carved from Korean granite, and presented by “No Greater Love,” is located along a
walkway just north of the Amphitheater, a short distance from the spot where the above was taken. KWVA
members visiting Arlington Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknowns should locate their bench, pause, rest
their weary bones, sit for a spell in restful meditation and contemplate the significance of the bench. If
coaching is needed on that point, one need but to read the bronze plaque at the bench for assistance.
Our flag is understood to have been designed by KWVA founding father Bill Norris and is being held by
member West Worsham on the right and, your newsletter staff believes, the late and founding member Kenneth
Borchardt, of Fairfax County, Virginia, on the left. In the Left background can be seen the mast of the
United States Battleship Maine that was blown up in the Havana Harbor on February 15, 1898, an event which
led to the beginning of hostilities that resulted in the Spanish-American War.
Just to the right of the walkway is located the graves of the astronauts who died in midair seconds after
the launching of their missile at Cape Kennedy in the late 1980s. About 50 feet to the left of the flag is
located the grave site of the famed Audie Murphy, the most decorated trooper of World War II, a struggle in
which many Korean War vets also served.
(Click HERE to view a scan of the actual
Graybeards description from which this was typed.)